1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed Gender black/grey chick, legs grey lateral feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yolkoroo, May 10, 2011.

1. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Can I get help identifying breed/gender of last unidentified rescue chick? Black, grey with patterned wings/back, lateral feathers (?) that looks stubbly on grey legs, with a single pink tipped toe on each foot...no extra toes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    could be a Marans or a cochin..???

3. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm thinking Black Australope.

But like I said... I'm Thinking! [​IMG]

Edited to say:

See I told you, I was thinking. I re-read your post and saw there are leg feathers. Just smack me! [​IMG]

NOT a BA.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Feathered shanks, especially down the outside like that, make me think Marans. Maybe a Black Copper Marans? They lay incredibly beautiful dark brown eggs, and the French Marans seem pretty sought after.

5. yolkoroo

May 4, 2011
    Quote:Okay, I did think the Australope had a clean leg but didn't know if this would change as it grew...

Quote:...so I am thinking Maran as others have suggested now. At least it looks more like the Maran chicks than the other breeds I have been clicking on at random because I don't have enough experience to even eliminate options. ANY THOUGHTS ON GENDER?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I too would also say marans and a pullet.

7. yolkoroo

May 4, 2011
    Thank you, that is very encouraging. I already have a Speckled Sussex Roo that is acting out a bit, so another Roo (should I not be able to find suitable homes) would be unhealthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by