Breed/gender guesses?

OR4-hmom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Grants Pass, OR
We recently brought these 2 home. We are hoping for foster parents to raise parlour rollers but it would be nice to have a guess what these are.

Would be nice to have a guess what these are. I would guess the top on ♂ bottom one ♀. Do not take that to the bank however.
The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

Last edited:
why you need fosters for parlors they are good parents
It seems we have the exception to the rule. They have given up on eggs due to hatch within 48 hours, rolled them to the other end of the loft, and mostly crushed the newly hatched chicks. We put a blown egg under them when they hatched the last one, it is looking good for this one hatched 11/16/14, fingers crossed!

My homers are famous for taking off on their half grown squab. I wound up raising a lot of them myself. It was tedious but the result was some very friendly, and rather hilarious pigeons.
As for genders, my best guess is that they might be a pair. One of them has a more prominent cere (at least thats what they call the nose thing in tropical birds...) than the other. The only fool proof way however is to watch their behavior around one another.

YOur parlors sound spooked n rolling out on young.. check for curious cats etc n children, to preds pests, shadows sounds odd all or on off through day. move adult parlors to low 20" tall cage, nest in each back corner (two nests per pair).

Back
Top Bottom