Breed/gender? Or too young to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by citygirl180, Dec 7, 2014.

1. citygirl180

citygirl180 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona
    New to the site and new to raising chicks... My little ones are now almost 3 weeks old.
    I was told I have 3 olive eggers (the tiny white ones), 2 black copper marans (the black ones, obviously), and a French breese... Though now that I'm researching im beginning to doubt the French breese - from what I've read they are pretty rare. Though she has grown quite large quite a bit faster than the rest and has the stance of the photos of seen of the French breese. Who knows!

Here is a group photo of the day they came home with me.... [​IMG]

And a more recent one... Will try to get better close up / solo photos soon. They're just so fast and skittish right now! (Today was their first day with out paper towel over the pine shavings - they are having a blast playing in them and making a mess!)
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping for *at least* 4 hens out of the six!

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    [​IMG]

They are far too young to tell gender at the moment. By about 6 weeks you can usually tell.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hi again! Yes, they are too young to say for sure. As of now, they look like pullets.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Right now, they all look like pullets. However, it is too young to really tell gender.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too young to be sure. There are no obvious rooster signs, but you can't be sure at this age.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it's very early to be telling gender.

I'd be quite curious what cross gives an Olive egger that looks like those light chicks. They're light shanked, clean shanked, no crests, clean faced and look to have straight combs. Granted, there are a few crosses than can produce Olive eggers, but I'm not seeing any of the common crosses there. Any chance of asking the breeder what cross went into them?

8. citygirl180

Dec 7, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona

I was thinking the same thing after I started doing more research and looking for pictures of other olive egger chicks to compare mine to. I'm going to reach out to the breeder tomorrow and will post if I get an answer!

9. citygirl180

Dec 7, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Code:

I just heard back from the breeder. She said they use a white marans roo with a white ameraucana. She said both are relatively rare which is why white olive eggers are rare as both parents have to be white. I know very little about chickens still have no idea how possible this is, or if I'm just a naive noobie! We'll see as they grow up :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by