Breed/Gender? Please help!

FlappyBird

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I purchased 12 chicks on March 12th that were 2-3 days old. I asked for a couple of Easter Eggers. The remainder are supposed to be Dominiques. I think for the most part that is correct, but there are 2 that I am questioning because they are mostly solid colored (one black/blue and one white/yellow). Please help me determine breed and gender. I tried to get the best pictures that I could. They are tough to photograph! They are about 6 weeks old now...fingers crossed for some pullets!

5. ?

8. Easter Egger?

10. Easter Egger?

12. This one has a bit of white feathers under the wings and some definite blue in the tail area.

You got a bunch of barred rocks (single combs instead or the dom's rose comb) the light colored ones are roosters and the darker ones are hens. The white one looks like it might be a white orpington and I'd lean towards a rooster. The other look like they could be ee's, if you can see 3 rows in their combs, then its a rooster at this age.

Thanks. I'm a complete novice. I'm a little upset that the guy that sold them misled me. Not that I wouldn't have purchased them anyhow, but geeze, tell people what they are getting-correctly! He assured me that the yellow chick was the same breed as the others. I should've known. Oh well, I love them all the same :)

Last edited:
I have seen this happen so many times! A guy sold me some chicks as purebreds....and while I was there I saw his pen where he had three different breeds of roosters running around in it. Duh. Lol! (I bought them anyway, but come on dude!)

You have a good looking group of birds there! :)

Thanks. I'm a complete novice. I'm a little upset that the guy that sold them misled me. Not that I wouldn't have purchased them anyhow, but geeze, tell people what they are getting-correctly! He assured me that the yellow chick was the same breed as the others. I should've known. Oh well, I love them all the same :)
I wish I could say that this hardly ever happens, but it happens a lot. One reason I tell people to research the breed they want and to know what the breeds look like as eggs, chicks, teens, and adults. Little things like type of comb or leg color can mean a whole different breed. Good luck with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom