1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed? Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5acresandadream, Nov 17, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I picked these two up yesterday. Owner said it was a barn yard mix, and that they are hens. Said they got them as peeps in April so that would make them around 7 months. They are only slightly smaller than my adult leghorns. Any idea on breed? The one on the left has a poofy head, I am hoping it's a hen but I'm new to all this so idk): its feathers are little ruffled, so its tail is looking beat up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    [​IMG] another pic

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They look to be what the seller said the were, mixes. I also think they are both pullets, though I would get a second opinion. If you tell us a little more about them we maybe able to tell you what possible breeds are in them. How many toes do they have? What type of comb? The one with out the crest looks like it has a rosecomb but its hard to tell.

4. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    They both appear to have 4 toes, they aren't as friendly as my others so they are really hard to catch. I will grab them when they roost tonight and get a closer pic. Both of their combs look alike in size and shape as far as I could tell when looking at them last night. I'm not well informed of the different types of combs there are): I have so much to learn lol

5. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  6. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    here are some better pics, the bottom two picks are of the one i was wondering if it was a rooster. i am thinking they are both pullets, since both crowns and beards are pretty small and they are (supposed to be) seven months old. any opinions would help!

7. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The one with the "puff" on its head may have some Polish in it and the other one may have some Wyandotte in it, just possibilities.

8. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    thanks! Im excited to have a little flair to my flock of mostly buff orpington mixes. the one with the puff, do you think its a pullet?

9. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The full body picture isn't very clear but I *think* they are both pullets.

10. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    ok, if i can ill get a better full body pic. I am thinking your are right, it doesnt seem to have any rooster like looks, I'm just used to the same old buff's ive had forever so when it comes to these new mixed breeds i get a little questionable. I got these 2 to replace two "hens" that ended up being roosters, so I really didnt want to end up wasting money buy accidentally buying another roo. The lady I got them from was like "well i think they are hens" and then i was like oh no.. lol! Thanks for all the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by