Breed/Gender?

Hello,

I am picking up these 3 (what I believe to be) showgirls today and plan to breed them with silkies to create a showgirl/silkie cross. I was told they under/right around 1 yr old.

1) can you confirm these chickens look like they are in fact showgirls?

2) I see 2 females and one male - thoughts?
These are naked necks. Showgirls ARE silkies with naked necks.
So no, these aren’t showgirls, and one is a rooster.

Ok so if I breed these naked necks with my silkies, THEN I will have showgirls?

These are naked necks. Showgirls ARE silkies with naked necks.
So no, these aren’t showgirls, and one is a rooster.

Yes, these birds shown are smooth and not technically showgirls. Sorry if this was not clear. BUT they are clearly part silkie, at least the grey/blue pullet is. How much I do not know, but I suspect she is at least half silkie. Maybe the breeder can tell you? "Satins" are not a true breed YET, but many breeders have been working on them for many generations of birds (over 20 in some cases), the goal being to breed a bird that has all the silkie features, 5 toes, dark skin, walnut comb, feathered legs, but then have the smooth feathering. Bantam Cochins are usually what is used to introduce the smooth feathers. Depending on where you source your birds, you can find Satins that are well over 90% silkie. Most people throw the term around loosely and will call any bird that is half silkie with smooth feathers a Satin.
So, on to your question. Yes, you can use them for your showgirl project to introduce the naked neck gene into your flock. It may take you several generations for them to achieve the true Showgirl appearance and also to breed true.
The naked neck gene is incomplete dominant, so that if a bird has only one copy of the gene, it will have what is known as a "bowtie" around half way down the neck. 2 copies and you will have naked neck. Your first generation crosses with your silkie will be "bowties"
Also to achieve the silkied feathers will also take a few generations, though if I am correct and the blue/grey girl is at least half silkie, then if you breed her to a silkie rooster, then half the offspring will have silkied feathers and half will have smooth feathers, but be recessive for the silkied feather gene.
Hope this answers your questions. Your project is doable but will take time. You are working with several different genes. Should be fun along the way and you may get some interesting birds out of it.😊

Yes, these birds shown are smooth and not technically showgirls. Sorry if this was not clear. BUT they are clearly part silkie, at least the grey/blue pullet is. How much I do not know, but I suspect she is at least half silkie. Maybe the breeder can tell you? "Satins" are not a true breed YET, but many breeders have been working on them for many generations of birds (over 20 in some cases), the goal being to breed a bird that has all the silkie features, 5 toes, dark skin, walnut comb, feathered legs, but then have the smooth feathering. Bantam Cochins are usually what is used to introduce the smooth feathers. Depending on where you source your birds, you can find Satins that are well over 90% silkie. Most people throw the term around loosely and will call any bird that is half silkie with smooth feathers a Satin.
So, on to your question. Yes, you can use them for your showgirl project to introduce the naked neck gene into your flock. It may take you several generations for them to achieve the true Showgirl appearance and also to breed true.
The naked neck gene is incomplete dominant, so that if a bird has only one copy of the gene, it will have what is known as a "bowtie" around half way down the neck. 2 copies and you will have naked neck. Your first generation crosses with your silkie will be "bowties"
Also to achieve the silkied feathers will also take a few generations, though if I am correct and the blue/grey girl is at least half silkie, then if you breed her to a silkie rooster, then half the offspring will have silkied feathers and half will have smooth feathers, but be recessive for the silkied feather gene.
Hope this answers your questions. Your project is doable but will take time. You are working with several different genes. Should be fun along the way and you may get some interesting birds out of it.😊
This is SO helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed response. Thx again! Will provide updates on my progress 👍

Back
Top Bottom