1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed, Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by algopurple, Nov 16, 2009.

1. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    I got this chick from Meyer Hatchery and from what I have been reading on BYC, hatchery stock and true breeds are not quite the same. This pullet(?) was hatched in mid Aug. and was in an assorted brown egg layer group.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    That's a Black sex-link pullet or as some call them Black Stars.

catdaddy

3. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    COOL!! Always wanted one of those and it looks like I have 2. Only thought there was just one till I saw them standing next to each other. Have alot of baby chicks lol. I did have a few roos mixed in my order so any chances this one is a roo? I think she looks like a she.

4. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    If it is a Black Sex-Link (and looking at Meyer, it looks like that that's the most likely breed [​IMG] ), that would be a girl. The males of that crossbreed are barred. The females are black with varying amounts of brown on their heads and chest and wings. Black Sex-Links are great layers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  5. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    BSL pullet

6. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    Black sex-link pullet females are black with
    varying amounts of brown on their heads