Breed Guesses for Fun

EverV

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
NJ
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I visited a farm this weekend and they had a bunch of chickens free ranging! All of them are beautiful and in great condition, especially because some of the other establishments shut the chickens in small chicken wire pens and pretty much forget about them. Behind us was a person giving a tour, who claimed that all of them laid blue eggs, I think she was new there: she also said they had roosters because the hens wouldn't lay without them. There were also BRs and australorps, which I believe don't usually lay blue eggs. I'm generally not a big BR fan, but they had the most stunning giant rooster! I was wondering, just for fun, what breeds they were. I'm thinking easter eggers for sure? Here are some pics:

IMG_5098.jpg IMG_5099.jpg IMG_5106.jpg IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5117.jpg IMG_5125.jpg IMG_5129.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5126.jpg
    IMG_5126.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
I’m not a breed expert, but I only see e couple of blue egg layers there... the EEs for sure. And yea she must have been new bc a rooster is def not necessary for egg production lol

There are certainly a lot of EEs.

The barred ones aren't BR - possibly cuckoo marans.

What color were the black ones feet?

ETA:From what I would tell I would say the black one has pink feet, so I would guess Black Australorp.

Hello! I visited a farm this weekend and they had a bunch of chickens free ranging! All of them are beautiful and in great condition, especially because some of the other establishments shut the chickens in small chicken wire pens and pretty much forget about them. Behind us was a person giving a tour, who claimed that all of them laid blue eggs, I think she was new there: she also said they had roosters because the hens wouldn't lay without them. There were also BRs and australorps, which I believe don't usually lay blue eggs. I'm generally not a big BR fan, but they had the most stunning giant rooster! I was wondering, just for fun, what breeds they were. I'm thinking easter eggers for sure? Here are some pics:

View attachment 2511542View attachment 2511544View attachment 2511546View attachment 2511547View attachment 2511549View attachment 2511550View attachment 2511551
The ones with puffy cheeks are EE, they lay blue to green eggs, the black ones are Australorp, they lay brown eggs, and the barred ones are probably Barred Rocks, I think they lay white, maybe brown. Some of the others look like mixes.

Back
Top Bottom