Breed guesses? Meyer rare breed pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nhrocks, Mar 7, 2016.

1. nhrocks

nhrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    We got a batch of "rare breed" chicks from meyer in December. Link to their breed list: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w?subcat=5035&cat=1020

Most of our pullets are easily identified, however there are a few we are unsure about, and wanted more opinions before we sell them! The biggest problem with the breed list is that they include "olive eggers" as a rare breed, which they produce from ameraucana or legbar crossed with marans, so we are not sure what to expect those to look like if we have one. Also swedish flower hens are listed as well.

To start, we have two of these little cuties, trying to figure out if they are dark cornish or barnevelder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there are three of these, I was assuming golden cuckoo marans. Two have feathered legs, one is clean legged. And one, as we can see, has yellow legs. Oops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there's this little one, doesn't match any breed on the list and had feathered shanks so I'm guessing olive egger.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, this black one which I'm assuming is a poorly colored black copper marans, as she has bits of copper throughout her feathers, but none in her hackle.
    [​IMG]

Any input or ideas? Sorry for the dim lighting, rather overcast today. I may be able to get better shots tomorrow when the sun comes out.
    Thanks,
    Amy

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The first two are gold laced Wyandotte.

3. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    Wyandottes aren't on their rare breed list.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    they aren't barnevelder, or Cornish, they are Wyandotte I guess unfortunately.

5. Chickeggdiction

Chickeggdiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    Alabama
    I recently receive a rare breed assortment as well but Wyandottes are on the rare list on the website, right after Andalusian. Hope that helps as they do look like GLW's.

6. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    Not unfortunate, I don't mind wyandottes, just confused how they got into my group. They certainly look more like wyandottes.

7. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    I see there are blue laced red wyandottes on their rare breed list. Golden laced is not.
    And I do understand that if you breed two blue birds, you get 25% black offspring. I just think that if you advertise a blue bird, and charge more for it (5.20 for blue laced red vs. 3.40 for golden laced), then you should sell a blue bird.
    Again, not a problem for me. I like the look of gold laced more than the blue laced red. They're cute little buggers.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  9. nhrocks

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    Got a better pic of second to last pullet.
    [​IMG]

And I caught the last pullet today, and found she actually does have some copper coming through in her hackle. And she is a true black with green sheen, unlike this one I reposted who is more of a brown color.

Any other thoughts?

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just a 'mossy' Black Copper Maran. Not show quality, but still perfectly fine for a backyard flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by