Breed guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mlcrowley, Feb 27, 2017.

1. mlcrowley

mlcrowley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    We got these ladies from a guy that couldn't remember what breeds they all are. We've made our guesses based on some really in depth research (Google chicken pictures), but I'm really interested to see what you guys think. The first pic is Ethel and Vesta (Ethel in front, Vesta behind her). Second pic from left to right is Roz, Lucy, and Maevis. Third pic is Merlin. Both Vesta and Maevis have the cheek puffs going on. All have tails.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Ethel is a Barred Rock and Vesta is a beautiful Easter Egger. Roz is a Red Sex Link. Lucy looks like she is a Rhode Island Red. And Maevis is an Easter Egger too. I'm not sure on Merlin, I'm not good with roosters. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, Red sexlink, Production red. Merlin is also an Easter Egger.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, my thoughts exactly

1 person likes this.
  5. mlcrowley

Feb 27, 2017
    Yay! Thank you all for the responses. That's exactly what we thought for Ethel (she was the easy one), and for the EE's. We couldn't decide on Roz, but Red Sex Link was our closest guess. As for Lucy, we were guessing RIR, but I hadn't heard of Production Red, what are the differences? I'll have to get a better picture of Vesta, you can hardly see her in the one above, she really is gorgeous.

Thanks again!!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Production Reds are generic red birds that don't really meet the breed standard for Rhode Island Reds. Most hatchery sourced Rhode Island Reds are really Production Reds.

1 person likes this.
  7. mlcrowley

Feb 27, 2017
    Thank you!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

X2, I should have confirmed that she looked like a hatchery quality RIR/Production Red. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    I need to know the color of Vesta the hen in the front eating out of the feed bowl ( can only see back) my hen has the exact colors and I need to find her colors!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by