Breed Gurus WANTED - Help identifying breed ???

ChickenTenderJo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
We got several chickens from valley country store and do not know what kind the one on the right is. (not sure on sex yet either) I wish I would've taken pictures of the one that died a couple of weeks ago too because he was very special and a light gray and yellow. This chicken (Rosey - the yellowish/brown looking one on right) though started out red-ish or orange looking and I thought at first it was a RIR but now I'm not sure what she is as you can see the dark brown lines and patterns that started to form over the past 1.5 weeks. Beautiful bird.

Any idea what kind of chicken? I can post more pictures of her from other angles if needed but thought this one caught the basic color pattern. Thanks ahead of time

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Did the chick start out yellow or red?

If yellow, it's most likely a New Hampshire Red. If red, it's most likely a Production Red.

ChickenTenderJo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
more of an orange ....The chick's color has gone to more of a yellow as you can see in the photo except for the dark coloring on the wings which have kept some of the original tone and gotten darker in areas..( I guess her butt is still a slightly darker color than some of the other chicks too but it's lightened up some too.)we even joked that we should've named her goldie rather than one of the other chickens because of her color tone - was more of a ORANGE/REDDISH). Based off what you're telling me I'm thinking a production red...?What would be the official name for the breed? or is that it? I saw on one of the other posts that production reds are called a lot of things.

Last edited:

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
more of an orange ....The chick's color has gone to more of a yellow as you can see in the photo except for the dark coloring on the wings which have kept some of the original tone and gotten darker in areas..( I guess her butt is still a slightly darker color than some of the other chicks too but it's lightened up some too.)we even joked that we should've named her goldie rather than one of the other chickens because of her color tone - was more of a ORANGE/REDDISH). Based off what you're telling me I'm thinking a production red...?What would be the official name for the breed? or is that it? I saw on one of the other posts that production reds are called a lot of things.
Do they have white on them? If so, then they are Red Sex Links, not Production Reds.

Production Red is a general name for a hybrid bird (fancy planned mutt) that has usually has Rhode Island Red in the background and is red at adulthood. It's not a breed. Hatcheries sell a lot of them, and they are usually much lighter in color than RIR and are lacking the characteristic "brick" body shape of a RIR. Since they are hatchery mixes, hatcheries can call them whatever they want for that strain. I know of one hatchery that calls them Cherry Eggers, for instance.

ChickenTenderJo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
after further inspection it looks like there is a really light yellow/white color on chest/shoulders . I guess we'll start getting a better idea the older they get...?

Top Bottom