Breed help for my location

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Welshies, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    So this spring I will be getting 15 chicks. I want 2 different breeds. I am located in Northern Alberta so winter temps are average -15°C and summer temps are 20°C.Extremes may be -30°C or 0°C in winter (much warmer lately, during winter), and 30°C in summer -- rarely.
    The breeds I have picked are Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Dorkings, Orpingtons, and Swedish Flowers.
    How do these fair in cold weather? The only breed I REALLY want are Wyandottes. If they fair alright in cold weather, I will be getting these for sure.
    Then for the second breed, whatever is available, I think... maybe I'll even go with Easter Eggers- but are these good for meat?
    I guess my question is: will wyandottes excel in my location, and what is a good production breed to go with them - dual purpose but with good egg laying abilities.
    Wyandottes are dual purpose, and pretty, which is why I have liked them the most.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I mentioned in your insulation thread the Chantecler. I would also suggest Faverolles; even though their annual production is not as high as some, they are known to lay even in winter which makes up for it. EEs are fine for meat as well.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Hi, EEs are pretty egg wise and lay good but definitely not meat! They are hardy for cold too! But meat no! Challenge for us northerners is even though a lot of breeds say they are good meat dual purpose birds it does not work us! We have a short growing season here and our birds spend a lot of their energy and growth just maintaining our climate!
    I love my colored egg layers. I have pure Ameracuanas too! I have lots of different pure bred heritage breeds! And love our Wyandottes too! But of all you listed the truly best meat bird and still awesome egg production is by far the barred rock!

This year for our meat I am doing that plus some crosses with my barred rock Roo over Wyandotte hens, Maran hens and Cochin hens!

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I decided against Chanteclers. Not for me.
    How are your Wyandottes? I love the colors. If they are decent layers and alright for meat, I'm definitely getting some.
    For Plymouth Rocks; It think they may be my second breed. I want 2 breeds though, to start, that way I can drop one if I only like one, or crossbreed for better backyard production.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'm glad you mention that because I did not think of that (that the birds will not be able to put as much energy into growth in the far northern areas).

7. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    I love my Wyandotte especially the neat patterns and colors and they are hardy with Rose comb! I am breeding for the true quality lines verses hatchery. I am buying more hatching eggs this year. Expensive way to go but worth it in the end!

But in all honesty my quality show and production stock barred rock(not hatchery). Out perform both egg and a lot more on meat!

But I am very excited to cross my barred rock Roo with my Wyandotte for meat! I think it will improve poundage on the Wyandottes plus egg production and look real nice as meat should concentrate more! Hopping! Can't go wrong! Usually crosses are faster growing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by