Breed Help (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambe0487, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I just hatched out 24 chicks and of course they got all mixed up so I'm not sure what is what. Could I get some help identifying what these are please? Any help would be very appreciated!

These are some of the breeds that should be in there and the eggs they came from to help decipher.

One batch is from this mix of birds and all hatched from brown eggs:
    My hens are Black Australorps, Black Giants, Buff Orpingtons, EE, Salmon Faverolle, White Leghorns covered by BCM Rooster, Jubilee Orpington Roosters, Chocolate Orpingtons, Silver Lace Orpington, Lavender Americana, Lavender Orpington and a few other Orp roosters.

Other possibilities that were hatched from these eggs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred rock, EE, silkie, bantam Cochin, and polish, buff orpington, and jersey giant, brahma , RIR, Leghorn eggs in there.

There are some I know came out of certain eggs (I was awake at the time) however I had 10 hatch overnight and I'm lost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Sounds like they're all going to be cross breeds. Virtually impossible to determine exact parentage.

3. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    You might be able to guess at who their parents are when they are older and fully feathered, but right now it's too hard to tell. You might be able to narrow down the bearded chicks to part favorelle or Ameraucana, & the feathered feet ones to any of your feathered feet breeds. You should be seeing the crests on the polishes.

4. SOHC-FTW

SOHC-FTW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Fleetwood NC
    The jubille orps if pure should stick out like a swore thumb. Usually a solid yellow chick with patterns on the tips of the wings by at least day 3-5.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree you're going to have to wait for a while. When they're feathered out, around 6 weeks, you'll be able to get an idea of mixes from plumage color, leg color, comb, and other identifying features like crests, feathered legs, number of toes, etc.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what darling chicks - save those single shots for contests coming up. Will love to see them again in a few weeks.

7. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I'd planned on keeping them until I was sure of cockerel vs pullets any ways but wasn't sure if anyone was able to pick out certain traits right away.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by