breed help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vkchook, Jun 19, 2016.

1. vkchook

vkchook Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    Hello, we are new to chickens and have 5 chicks and they are about 3.5 weeks old. They were a mix of eggs & I'm having some trouble identifying the breeds as the minute I think I have it figured out, I come across another it could be. I'd appreciate any help and also, if you happen to notice any prominent gender markings, I wouldn't mind help there either. Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    The one in front. I was thinking Buff Orpington or Easter Egger(but I have 2 other Easter Eggers which are much darker. But then I came across leghorns so now I have no idea lol. Very sweet, feathered legs, tiny pale pink comb just starting. Bigger than the EE I have.
    [​IMG]
    here's another^^

[​IMG]
    ^^ I was thinking Barred Rock or Black Sex Link or Dominique?? Hates to be handled, very high strung, goes after another bird often, flies fairly high and very fast. Hairless legs. Another pic of that one below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    last is this reddish one. A Welsummer girl perhaps? The marking on the head is very defined. Seems to be fighting to be in charge against the black chick. Super fast, has one long white wing feather. Hairless legs. Dark eyeliner. Prominent comb compared to the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really appreciate any insight, thanks so much!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    I think you're right about the barred plymouth rock. Not sure about the others!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Feathered legs would not be Orpingtons or Leghorns. The feather legged cuties look like Cochins to me. Barred bird is a Rock. Not sure about the reddish one, pics aren't very clear and there are lots of breeds that look like that as chicks :) They're adorable!

4. CassieDelash

CassieDelash New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    You may have to wait about three more weeks until you can be sure. I have one at 8 weeks that I am still not completely sure about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by