Breed help! Which breeds would you recomend?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FriendlyFlyer, Sep 6, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I have been trying to decide what types of chickens to get next Spring for MONTHS!! [​IMG] It has been so hard because there are so many great breeds out there!! I have finally narrowed it down to these breeds:
    Black Sumatras
    (Light Brown) Dutch Bantams
    (Dark) Brahma Bantams
    (Black Breasted Red) Old English Game Bantams
    (Quail Belgian) d Anvers

Unfortuntely, I can only have 3 breeds (because I want about 4-5 of each to assure they make it to adulthood, therefore I can only have 3 breeds because that is all I can house). So far these are my pros and cons:
    Black Sumatras: PROS - Beautiful, large, flighty (I know right, who thought that would be good!)
    CONS - Shy, not a bird for petting

Dutch Bantams: PROS - BEAUTIFUL!! friendly, good gardeners (from what I hear)
    CONS - NOT cold hardy!

Brahma Bantams: PROS - Cute fluffy birds, cold hardy
    CONS - Feathered feet would get dirty easily, may get too hot during summer

Old English Game Bantams: PROS - Colorwise; MY FAVORITE BIRD EVER!!! protective, cold hardy
    CONS - aggressive at times

d Anver: PROS - Flighty, friendly, cold hardy
    CONS - There are only two color varieties offered to me and I don't really like either too well (not to be rude!)

Any advice on the three you picked and why you picked them would be great thank you!!!!! By the way, I live in Iowa, up to 100 degrees in summer -20 degrees or less in winter. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I want dutch bantams SO bad too, but it gets -40 here in the winter. Get the old english games, the brahmas (they do fine in the summer) and COCHINS! How did they not make the list? LOL [​IMG]

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I would recommend picking birds that are most suitable for your climate, and needs. It is very useful in the long run. Also, if you intend to keep Dutch, Old English, or d Anvers you need to keep them in a pen with a roof. Hawks love those little guys.
    We have weather similar to yours, and have just started only rearing birds with smaller combs. (pea, cushion, walnut) It really helps keep them warm through the winter. Our Old English made it through our winters, but they were not nearly as comfortable as our Brahmas. As for summer temperatures our Brahmas and other winter hardy fowl do just fine, however they tend to rest in the shade.
    As for the feathered feet, if you free-range then your bird is likely to loose quite a bit of foot feathering. It will still be there, but not really enough of it to cause a problem.

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i would say you should get full sized bramas or orpingtons full size

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I have experience with Old English Game Bantams, and I heartilly recommend them. Some of the roosters can have a bit of an attitude, but the hens are some of the sweetest hens I've had.

6. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    BlackBrookPoultry - Thank you so much for your ideas! I appreciate it so much! As for the cochins..I guess I've never taken them into full consideration. [​IMG] My family helped me narrow it downt to those few so..they were the top of the list for me. I will think about them though! They look VERY friendly. [​IMG]

RhodeRunner - I have recently made a covered run so the little bantams won't be a buffet! [​IMG] And thank you for reassuring me about the brahmas, I was worried all those feathers might make them to hot and dirty, but if it won't than they should be FANTASTIC!

orpingtonkid11 - I will take your ideas under consideration! [​IMG]

Blue - THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! I have been so worried about them and aggression that I have almost given up on them! But because of you, I will definately get some Old English Games!! Thank you soo much! I can't wait to get them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by