1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed Help?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DollyHens717, Feb 24, 2016.

1. DollyHens717

DollyHens717 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    I recently rescued these chickens they were left out in the freezing cold with frostbite to the point some of there toes fell off which I got that under control now but Im having a little trouble identifying what breed they are! Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me :)
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They maybe Plymouth Rocks.

3. DollyHens717

DollyHens717 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Ok thank you! I was also thinking maybe Cornish cross Bc there feet are huge and they eat like crazy but I wasn't sure.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are they? And do you have any other breeds to compare their sizes to? Cornish Cross reach the size of the average adult in just about 8 to 10 weeks.

5. DollyHens717

DollyHens717 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    I'm really not sure how old they are I found them along the road around a bunch of ran over dead ones freezing so I took them home in hopes of saving them.. I do have 3 year old barred rock hens and the white ones are almost there same size but there feet are like double the size of the barred rock and they eat like crazy. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got them and I would say they almost about doubled there size!

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Then they are definitely Cornish Cross. White Rocks are the same breed as Barred Rocks, just a different color.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm guessing they are about 12 weeks old. One is definitely a cockerel.

8. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Then they are definitely Cornish Cross. White Rocks are the same breed as Barred Rocks, just a different color.
    [/quote

X2..

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Oh wow, bless your heart. . :hugs. :goodpost:

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the are Cornish x, they are meat birds, bred to grow very fast and be ready to process(slaughter) at an early age. Because they grow so rapidly, it overtaxes their organs, and they are prone to heart attacks if not processed. Also their legs go out because of the great weight gain. I wonder if they were dumped out because someone found out they were not regular laying chickens and didn't want to bother. Processing them would have been a kindness next to letting them freeze to death.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by