1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breed help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrscrabtree92, Mar 24, 2016.

1. mrscrabtree92

mrscrabtree92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I purchased 6 chicks two Mondays ago. not real sure on age though I know they are all over a week and 3 days old. when we got them we were told there were 2 easter eggers 2 Rhode islands 1 silver laced Wyandotte and 1 lavender orpington. I still don't know the gender of some but now we are second guessing the Easter eggers actually being easter eggers. The top two pictures are the ones that are supposed to be EEs. The last picture has our Wyandotte Orrington and the 2 EEs. We think we have one roo and one pullet in the 2 that are EEs. Are theses actually EEs or something else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would say something else.

3. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Better pictures of the 2

4. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    I think they are easter eggers, i used to have some and when they were chicks they looked exactly like that. They are too young to sex, but when they are around 1 month the pullets grow their tails first and the roos grow their comb first. Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    One is already getting its tail while the other is not also the wings are tilting differently I noticed hens are more rounded and straight back while the roos are more pointed and tilted down more

6. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    correct, the pullets grow their tails first and the roos grow their combs first with less tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by