Breed help

catnip1970

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2016
We bought 10 mixed chick at the local chicken swap at the end of May. They are now old enough to get a good idea of what they will look like fully grown. I k ow that some are jersey giant/americauna mixes and some of them are barred rocks but can't figure this one out. Ideas? There are two of them and they both have the facial tufts like americauna.

Thanks for the responses. She is a very pretty bird. Here's one of the jersey/americauna mixes. The camera does not do justice to her plumage.

Thanks. I'm obviously a novice here. Is easter egger a term for generic crossbreed? Kind of what we'd call a mutt in a dog? Also, how are you telling that this is a cockerel at this point? I can tell when the tail fetters get longer but am still trying to figure all of this out

Thanks. I'm obviously a novice here. Is easter egger a term for generic crossbreed? Kind of what we'd call a mutt in a dog? Also, how are you telling that this is a cockerel at this point? I can tell when the tail fetters get longer but am still trying to figure all of this out
Hatchery sourced Easter Eggers aren't mutts or mixed breeds. They just haven't been bred to a specific standard. Your birds, on the other hand, are mixed breeds. It's the deep, dark red through the wing that indicates that the second bird you posted is male. That is something only males get.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the couple dozen chickens we hAve I now see that only my males have red on their wings. The other crossbreed that have some obvious jersey giant in them don't have the red.

Back
Top Bottom