Breed help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ogdenfarms22, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this little chick is from TSC I got it from a bin labeled Brown tetras and Red broilers. Very unique coloring! So can anyone help me with which breed it is between the two?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Tetra brown, aka red sex link.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. kribar828

kribar828 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    Rhode Island Red?? The middle (yellow chick) Far right is the Tetra
    [​IMG]
    Black Sexlink or Tetra Harco??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tetra Brown??

Im new to raising chickens. We got these beauties a little over 2 week ago from TSC.
    I have 2 of what was labeled as Rhode Island Red, the 1st pic.
    3 Black Sexlinks but the 2nd picture, she is the only one that has the cooper coloring coming in on her feathers. The other 2 have some white. When I was looking more info on the Tetra Brown I came across the Tetra Harco and she seems to look more like that. I know the Tetras are part of the Sexlink breed.
    The last 2 pictures are of my sweet Tetra Brown. She is gorgeous! When reading more into the Tetra brown I haven't seen many pictures of chicks that look like her.
    I'm just looking for any other insight anyone has on them. Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You know there isn't too much info on them other than what little their website says.http://www.tetraamericana.com/products/tetra-brown/
    Being breed for 30 years just made its way over to the US recently. I'm pretty sure I read on a forum here that TSC had requested them from hatcheries so thats why they started selling them exclusively?! Don't quote me on that though lol
    My tetra is named tria and she is the sweetest little thing. I'm not a chicken is a pet type person. So I never really handle them even as chicks unless needed to. But she is friendly despite it. She is always behind me wondering what I'm up too. Lol she is 5 weeks right now. :)

I do believe you have the RIR mixed with the Tetra though. My RIR are really dark then as they age turn more red! But they have the white and brown/black tipped feathers. Here was a pic of them when I first got them at 4 weeks and now that they are 13+weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    My tetra was always really light. Until now It's more reddish. Heres a pic from when I got her at a week old. All thw others are leghorns so it was really easy to track her. Lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope thats helpful?! Lol we can be Tetra pioneers together [​IMG][​IMG]

Found this from a hatchery site
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. kribar828

kribar828 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    When I got them from TSC they told me the lighter yellow (1st picture) were the RIR and the Tetra (last 2 pics). I just wish I knew specifically who was who, so I would know what to expect from them in the future I suppose. They're ours now no matter what they are. Our backyard chickens have very quickly become part of the family.

9. GmaClucky

GmaClucky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    I'm wondering what their eggs are like? My Cinnamon Queens (Rhode Island Reds x Rhode Island Whites) lay huge brown eggs and lots of them! These tetras seem to be an enhanced version of that, but I haven't seen them here yet! I haven't looked closely because after several years of ordering vaccinated chicks because of Merek's (I rarely lose chickens now!) I haven't felt able to just pick up chicks at TSC or Orschelns. I hatch a few, knowing I could lose them, but haven't this last couple of years. Maybe I'll be brave and pick up a few when my order gets here next week, adding them to the mix to see how they work out!

1 person likes this.
  10. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017

Everything I have read is saying they Lay large light through dark brown eggs. Says they average 300+ eggs a year which is great! If she works out well I'm planning on getting a few more next year.
    None of my chicks have been vaccinated so I hope nothing ever happens to them! I do make sure to give them lots of plants that are suppose to help control disease and help their immune system etc though. I have a ton of stuff in my garden just for them and let them pick and choose what to eat. I that noticed they absolutely love the sweet Basil bush! The thing looks pretty raggedy on the bottom hahaha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by