Breed help?

KBaker71

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
I rescued 2 chicks, and while I was able to identify one as a sapphire gem, I cannot figure this one out! He or she has black legs mixed with bright yellow and a yellow dot on both sides of the head near the eyes (which is a recent discovery, the pic below doesn't show it) Any ideas?

Attachments

• Message_1671058196148.jpg
    Message_1671058196148.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 15
I rescued 2 chicks, and while I was able to identify one as a sapphire gem, I cannot figure this one out! He or she has black legs mixed with bright yellow and a yellow dot on both sides of the head near the eyes (which is a recent discovery, the pic below doesn't show it) Any ideas?
We may need better pics...

Looks a lot like a Prairie Bluebell or other Egger. (basically hybrid mixes) The Prairie Bluebell Egger is a cross between an Araucana and a White Leghorn.

Here is our Black Prairie Bluebell Egger pullet for comparison. (she is younger than your bird and hasn’t fully feathered out in this pic)

27435F15-063C-47DB-B61F-001285EC6B70.jpeg

They can get bright earlobes of varying color, assuming that is what you are referring to near the eyes.

Both Sapphire Gems and Prairie Bluebell Eggers are branded names for different types of Eggers from Hoover’s Hatchery, so it would make sense they came from the same place.

Is it laying yet? If so, what color egg?

Last edited:
Looks a lot like a Prairie Bluebell or other Egger. (basically hybrid mixes) The Prairie Bluebell Egger is a cross between an Araucana and a White Leghorn.

Here is our Black Prairie Bluebell Egger pullet for comparison. (she is younger than your bird and hasn’t fully feathered out in this pic)

View attachment 3364467

They can get bright earlobes of varying color, assuming that is what you are referring to near the eyes.

Both Sapphire Gems and Prairie Bluebell Eggers are branded names for different types of Eggers from Hoover’s Hatchery, so it would make sense they came from the same place.

Is it laying yet? If so, what color egg?
She's not laying yet. The lady I rescued them from said they were in a pen marked "rare breeds" or something like that... I think they came from Hoover's Hatchery. Zilla is a little sleeker than your pullet.

She's not laying yet. The lady I rescued them from said they were in a pen marked "rare breeds" or something like that... I think they came from Hoover's Hatchery. Zilla is a little sleeker than your pullet.
Here is a pic of a more mature Prairie Bluebell Egger from another BYC member:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cken-breeds-do-you-have.1558544/post-26422292

This bird is laying and also has the white-ish earlobes for comparison.

Here are the possible breeds in Hoover’s rare assortment: Partridge Plymouth Rock, Midnight Majesty Marans™, Sapphire Olive Egger™, Speckled Sussex, Blue Andalusian, Silver Lakenvelder, Cuckoo Marans, French Black Copper Marans, French Cuckoo Marans, French Wheaten Marans, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Prairie Bluebell Egger™, Starlight Green Egger™, Olive Egger, Salmon Faverolles, Cochins, Turkens, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Buff Brahma, Dark Brahma, Lavender Orpington

Zilla is definitely one of the Eggers. Egg color once she lays will help narrow it down.

Here is a pic of a more mature Prairie Bluebell Egger from another BYC member:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cken-breeds-do-you-have.1558544/post-26422292

This bird is laying and also has the white-ish earlobes for comparison.

Here are the possible breeds in Hoover’s rare assortment: Partridge Plymouth Rock, Midnight Majesty Marans™, Sapphire Olive Egger™, Speckled Sussex, Blue Andalusian, Silver Lakenvelder, Cuckoo Marans, French Black Copper Marans, French Cuckoo Marans, French Wheaten Marans, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Prairie Bluebell Egger™, Starlight Green Egger™, Olive Egger, Salmon Faverolles, Cochins, Turkens, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Buff Brahma, Dark Brahma, Lavender Orpington

Zilla is definitely one of the Eggers. Egg color once she lays will help narrow it down.

Attachments

• 20230106_154634_HDR.jpg
    20230106_154634_HDR.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom