breed help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by themichigander, Apr 18, 2012.

1. themichigander

themichigander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Portage, Michigan
    8 weeks ago i bought 5 "red" pullets from TSC. It turned out that one was a rooster and we're finding him a new home. but since i bought them from the red pullet brooder i dont know what breed each chicken is. The breeds i think the chickens might be are, Rhode Island red, New Hampshire red, production red, red sex link, or a mutt of any of these breeds. here is a picture of them..

[​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i see new hamps(lighter 2 chicks) and production reds (darker 3 chicks)

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2, plus the one with the big comb is a cockerel. Pullets don't have that much color or size at 8 weeks.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I see one cockerel in that group, the one with the big comb. They are most likely Production Reds and New Hamps.

5. themichigander

themichigander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Portage, Michigan
    are you guys sure that the production reds aren't Rhode island reds because iv'e heard both from various people???

6. Yoki

Yoki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Usually what they sell as "red pullets" are red stars (which yours aren't), production reds or New Hampshire reds.

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

if u got them from a TSC then they are production red. A real RIR is very dark in color. almost black in color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by