Breed help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hope4rainbow, Aug 26, 2013.

1. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    I just got a few babies and I am only positive about a couple of breeds. Either way, a Buttercup crossed lots of things are going to be likely around here in the spring! Our cockerel is the only one. We have a few pullets of the same breed and age as him then these new ones that are all different!
    I thought I was sure on this one but keep second guessing myself.
    So....any guesses? I'm trying to post pics of sections of the body to help out. If any more are needed, let me know!
    I hope it works right. I've been reading here over a year but driving myself nuts with a couple of the babies and researching so finally decided to post!

Wing:[​IMG]

Head:
    [​IMG]

Leg:
    [​IMG]

Whole chick!
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's easier to try to guess the breed by posting a photo with the whole body profile with chick standing and not being held. And from different angles. And in good lighting...so I guess I'm saying I need better photos to make a guess. (Others may be better guessers than me).

Do you also have any photos of the chick younger, with down? It's often helpful to see the down chick pattern then compare to the half feather pattern to make an educated guess.

It can be hard to guess the breed when they are in a half feather pattern as they have neither the typical pattern of the chick down nor the pattern of the adult feathers and many breeds can look similar in this half feather stage.

Lady of McCamley

3. hope4rainbow

Aug 26, 2013
    I don't have any baby fluff pics unfortunately.
    I thought holding it would be easier because of holding still. Well, its raining here so ill try to see if I can get anything with it standing still in here again in a little while. Thanks for the reply!

4. hope4rainbow

Aug 26, 2013
    Here is that same chicken 2wks later.
    He hides under the stairs or roosts if outside so this trying to get a pic in good lighting while standing is getting a bit ridiculous![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That little rooster looks like a hatchery RIR or some kind of production red with the single comb and yellow feet.

6. hope4rainbow

Aug 26, 2013
    We figured out he is a he a couple of days after the first pics, lol.
    He was more of an off white/ buff sort of color with Brown then suddenly decided to be red!
    The list of possible breeds has no red anything which is why I've been so dang confused. I was trying to hard to peg him as one of the breeds on the list!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by