Breed & Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ajohn0609, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ajohn0609

ajohn0609 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    79EB6CE3-6589-4E45-97F6-F7655D8CE243.jpeg View attachment 1540373 View attachment 1540382 8456AAC5-0C1C-44C9-8E74-028B2DBA9E48.jpeg View attachment 1540373 View attachment 1540374 Hello my wonderful brilliant friends! I first want to start off with how glad I hav this wonderful community to turn to, it’s been amazing!

Here’s my question, we got those little guys and were told they were Ameraucanas, I have read and read and I’m just getting more confused instead of answers.. so are they Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers?? Also can you tell if they are Hens, Roosters, one of each? Or are they still too little??

Thanks for all your knowledge!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    puffypoo22 likes this.
  2. puffypoo

puffypoo Pixel Princess

Oct 3, 2015
    Western Massachussetts
    Those Easter Eggers.
    Ameraucanas are hard to come by, most feed stores sell EE as Ameraucana and it’s kind of frustrating. A general rule of thumb is, if the color variety is stated, then it is a true Ameraucana. Also, if it was $3, it’s an EE. If it cost $10, an Ameraucana. (Unless you are being scammed!)
    And yes, they are still too young to tell the gender. If you post again in a few weeks we can help you out with that :)
    If you want more info on Ameraucana vs EE, don’t be afraid to ask. I love talking about chickens, and amer. Vs EE was actually the first question I ever posted on this site :)

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Where did they come from? Ameraucana will always be sold as a specific color variety. Were they sold to you as straight run or pullets?

Off the top of my head that looks like an EE. They are meant to be a representation of the Ameraucana breed. But will not conform to their standard of perfection in some area... usually at least feather pattern, but sometimes shank color or other things as well.

Here is a good little article ...
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/

ETA: Welcome to BYC! :frow

That's a little cutie! :love

ajohn0609 and puffypoo22 like this.
  4. ajohn0609

ajohn0609 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    We got them from a feed store which is one main reason I thought they were EE’s but my husband kept arguing with me, (because they have slate colored feet like Ameraucanas, I think he was hoping we got some kind of special!) We got them from a straight run. I thought it was crazy how the two of them look completely different too.

5. puffypoo

puffypoo Pixel Princess

Oct 3, 2015
    Western Massachussetts
    Almost all the EEs I have owned had slate colored legs, there are many other factors that make an EE, (or more like don’t make an Ameraucana). Sometimes they meet all requirements except coloring (which your chicks lack to be Ameraucana).

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Easter Eggers, much to young to sex just yet.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE's.

puffypoo22 and EggSighted4Life like this.
  8. New2Chicks97

New2Chicks97 Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Washington State
    We have 5 Easter Eggers and they all look different. The nice thing about that is that you don’t get them confused when you name them ;)

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    I think most keepers hope their feed store EE are Ameraucana... I KNOW I have been there... also thinking maybe I JUST got lucky! :p

Your hubby can be hopeful... but he is incorrect this time. :oops:

One thing I love about EE is how no two ever look exactly the same. It makes them easier to tell apart and they are such a mix bag of characters... some calm others flighty... all cute. Feed stores and their employees rarely know the difference. They aren't intentionally bait and switching... they are simply selling what the manufacturer tells them. And most have little to no poultry or animal experience of their own. It's just a product to them. It is ALWAYS a good idea to get a second opinion on anything they tell you! While their intentions are good sometimes their information is REALLY bad.

A basic of the Ameraucana standard...
    http://ameraucanaalliance.org/standard.html

And the part that your birds won't be able to meet...

AMERAUCANA VARIETIES (Large Fowl & Bantam)

Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

There are some project colors like Lavender that are still considered pure Ameraucana and not EE though they haven't yet been accepted into the standard... people are actively working to have them recognized by the APA. They will breed true AND conform to the rest of the standard.

Also... If your husband thinks he would really like an Ameraucana there are places to order or purchase like My Pet Chicken... they will NOT be at a feed store... and if they are will be closer to $18... or possibly on consignment from a local "breeder"... as I know both my LFS will sell chicks for locals and give them store credit.

Also... the terms hen and rooster don't really become valid until after a year old. Before that they are technically pullet or cockerel. And at shows rooster isn't even an accepted term... just Cock and cockerel. We still use the terms at home though. I mention it mostly just to share the knowledge. :D But it can be an important distinction when discussing behavioral or other factors.

I have gotten 3 straight run Silkies all turn out female. AND 2 sexed pullets both be male. :barnie The usual expected ratio is 50%. Hopefully you will do well! But I agree it is still a bit too early. As they start to grow you may see differences... like leg thickness or confidence verses shyness... They can be good indicators but not always accurate. Once color starts coming into the comb/waddles... that can be a great indicator, depending on age. And boys will often get much redder hues while females will stay more brown and subdued. Just little clues to look at and ponder...

Some EE can show gender later... but I suggest posting again close to 8 weeks unless something obvious pops up before then. :pop

I do have Ameraucana... I also have EE... After raising hundreds of birds only 2 have made pet status thus far... 1 EE and a barred Rock! I may always have at least one on my flock. :love

Hope this is helpful. :)

ajohn0609 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: