Breed Id and Gender Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplequeenvt, May 11, 2011.

1. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Hi everyone! I've posted pictures of these guys before and gotten some helpful responses, so I thought I try again and see if I can get some more help. Thanks!

Chick #1 - Zippy. Current age is about 6 weeks. This is my Mystery Chicken. I have spent *forever* trying to figure out what he is. I think Zippy is a roo.
    2 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    4 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    6 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 - Priscilla. 6 weeks old. She is an OEGB, but what color?? BB red?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 - Diablo. 6 weeks old. Gold Sebright. Is it a boy?
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 - Speckles. 6 weeks old. Golden Sebright. Girl?
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 - Lola. 6 weeks old. Porcelain d'Uccle. Girl?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New chicks....I bought the following chicks (and 3 Pekin ducks) from someone a couple weeks ago. Supposedly, they were 2 weeks old when I got them.
    This one and her sister were supposed to be meat birds, but I don't think the are....any thoughts on breed? The other is all white, but this one has red spots on a few feathers.
    [​IMG]

This is Mini Stooge. She thinks she's a duck. My guess is she's some sort of production red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    The white one at the bottom reminds me of a Cornish X and the one below looks like my Golden Comets. I was told here that a Golden Comet is a red sex link.

I'm still new with chickens so I could be wrong. [​IMG]

3. purplequeenvt

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that the white one isn't a cornish x. I've raised meaties before and, at a month old, she should be much bigger than she is. She is fully feathered with no bare patches and she also doesn't have the "stuff-your-face-as-fast-as-possible" mentality that cornish crosses have.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Diablo is a boy.
    Mini Stooge (love the name BTW) is a pullet and a red sex link.
    Zippy is a rooster (no idea on breed though)
    Speckles - Sebrights can be tricky, but I'd guess a girl.
    Lola - girl
    White one with red on the wings - could be a male red sex link, or a meatie mix. Those legs are awfully thick.

5. purplequeenvt

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Quote:The legs look thicker in the picture. *She* (the person I got them from told me they were "meat hens") actually has rather delicate legs, which is part of the reason I don't think it's a meat bird.

6. langshan_gal

langshan_gal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Williamsburg, OH
    Priscilla is a BB Red. I have some Modern BB Reds and her color is exactly the same as my pullets.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:The legs look thicker in the picture. *She* (the person I got them from told me they were "meat hens") actually has rather delicate legs, which is part of the reason I don't think it's a meat bird.

Do you have a closer shot of the comb? It may be a girl, it doesn't look pure meatie, but could be a cross of a meatie and another breed. (which would explain the thicker legs)

8. purplequeenvt

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    The 1st 3 pictures are of Marbles (the one with red) and the 4th is of Tootles (the all white one). I believe that they originally came from TSC, if that helps at all.
    Close-up comb shot
    [​IMG]

Body shot
    [​IMG]

Back shot
    [​IMG]
    Note: The red looks like dirt but it really isn't [​IMG]

Tootles
    [​IMG]
    Something about the angle makes them look bigger and thicker than they actually are. In real life, these 2 do not look meaty at all. I have raised many meat birds in the past and these just aren't the same.

Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by