Breed ID help please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RachelJoy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    My girls (I hope they're girls, please tell me if you think any are not) are now 7 weeks old. I'm a newbie, and relied on the extensive help of the person at Meyers in picking breeds. She also sent me the print catalogue so I'd have pictures of chicks to help me figure out which was which when they arrived.

We are supposed to have 1 white leghorn, 2 ameraucanas, 1 speckled sussex, and 1 silver laced wyandotte.

The leghorn was easy to pick out. I was guessing the 2 ameraucans were the 2 chicks that looked most similar, but they look pretty different now (one has lots of poufiness around her head, the other doesn't). There was one that looked pretty much like the photo of the wyandotte. Then there was one that didn't match the speckled sussex photo, and now that she's growing up looks even less like it. This last one is also the bully of the group - chases the others around, sometimes looks like she's herding them (hoping she isn't a he).

I'm posting photos from when they were 5 days old, as well as recent ones.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Wendy, the White Leghorn
    [​IMG]

Sylvie, the Silver Laced Wyandotte (I think)
    [​IMG]

Rosanna, the Ameraucana (?)
    [​IMG]

Henny Penny, the other Ameraucana (?)
    [​IMG]

Rose, the mystery bird (not Speckled Sussex in my "expert" opinion)
    [​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

You're almost right, switch the last two. Sussex is next to last, other Ameraucana (EE) is last. The green legs are a giveaway for the EE.

ETA: They all look like pullets to me [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by