breed id help?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chanamarie, Sep 4, 2016.

1. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I visited a local petting farm today and they had turkeys. I've been thinking of getting turkeys and the farmer said he would sell me hatching eggs next spring, if I wanted. The tom is a bourbon, but he couldn't remember the breed (and she might be a mix) of the older hen (who lays a lot of eggs). I took a couple of pics in the hope someone could help?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Kinda hard to see her full body in your pictures. My thoughts are either a Narragansett or a mix. You can go to Porters turkeys website to see various varieties to maybe get an idea.

3. mike6530

mike6530 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    From the front she looks like a blue slate and from the back she looks like a Narragansett.

4. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Thanks, I know the pics aren't great! I also thought she looked kinda like a cross btw a Narragansett and Blue Slate.

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I don't know what it is although it looks like it could be one of the mottled Slate varieties.

I went to Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys and ran the Turkey Color Calculator and it is definitely not a cross between a Narragansett and a Blue Slate. That cross does not make anything that would look like her. The only color possibilities from that pairing would be Barred Dilute Lilac, Barred Slate, Barred Silver-tipped Black and Barred Black. They would be sex-linked if the Narragansett was the tom with the Barred Dilute Lilacs and the Barred Silver-tipped Blacks being hens and the Barred Slates and Barred Blacks being toms.

Good luck.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Narragansett

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by