Breed ID help!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thequeenamom, Feb 14, 2015.

1. thequeenamom

thequeenamom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    We purchased 2 new chicks today, but the feed store didn't know what breed they were. All they knew was that they were brown egg layers..... PLEASE help.

This one has a whitish streak on her head (don't know if that matters or not)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This girl has hairy legs ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Dont know about the second chick but the first one looks like a Plymouth Rock and with that white streak on his head that means he's a rooster.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Top is a Barred Rock
    Bottom is likely a Brahma

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: All Barred Rocks have white dots on the head...this one is a bit more diffuse (females being more crisp in the dot), however it has a lot of black leg wash which is a female trait. Head dot and leg wash are only indicators, not 100% reliable. Many hatchery stock don't meet the typical sexing standards for Barreds, which are NOT an auto-sexing breed, although the indicators often give a predictor. If this is a rooster, the barring will come in such that the bird looks more silvery than dark and the comb will develop early, often around 6 weeks of age, and you typically know by 10 weeks that you've definitely got a roo. Some Barred's though are maddeningly ambiguous and you have to wait until the lay or crow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. thequeenamom

Feb 9, 2015
    WHAT???? They were supposed to be sexed!!!

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The streak of white is quite small. I think little lady there.
    I agree barred rock and brahma.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have to agree #1 looks likely to be a BR cockerel - wing bars are crisp, head spot, and suspicious looking comb. Sometimes though it can be hard to be sure until they are a little older. BR's can really fool you sometimes.
    Brahma for #2.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    X2

8. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    And welcome to BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. thequeenamom

Feb 9, 2015
    Thanks so much. I am glad to have such a helpful group of folks. We attended a "class" on backyard chickens today at our local feed store, and the guy teaching (loose term) really didn't know about chickens- he was more of a large animal guy. Bless his heart- he tried his best, and was at least entertaining. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by