Breed ID on 2 adult hens please:)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Missymac, May 8, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    So today I went and traded 2 of my EE 9 week old Roos for 2 EE 9 week old hens. When I got there and older man had 2 of the most beautiful chickens I had ever seen. He noticed me looking at them and told me he would sell them to me for 5 bucks each. They were each their own rabbit hutch cage with an egg in each so I am assuming by that that they are both females. He said they were "Show chickens" but no one wanted to show them. But couldn't tell me the breed. Is 5.00 each a good price for these? They seem very happy to be able to roam around now. But they also are picking on some of my younger chickens... Anyways here they are.

[​IMG]

The one in the back of this photo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The one with the laceing is a Silver Polish. Idk about the other one, its nothing in the McMurray catalog. Makes me think of a silver spangled hamburg but with a top hat.

3. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Not to familiar with hamburg, I guess I will have to research them a bit:)

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I am pretty sure the other is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben or whatever they're called. I have a friend who has a roo Ap Sp (who is insanely mean, btw) and he looks an awful lot like that hen.

5. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm going with Silver Laced Polish and Appenzeller Spitzhauben, too, and since the hatching eggs for both are $3.50-$5 I'd say $5 is a bargain price for adult birds!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Silver laced Polish and Appenzellar Spitz. Like everyone else said. [​IMG]

7. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Appenzellar Spitz? Well that is probably right then, because she is just about the meanest hen I have ever seen.

8. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Sounds like you got a helluva deal. They're beautiful!

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I'm sorry to hear she's mean. My friend's roo is so mean, they keep him penned all by himself. She says the only reason he's alive is b/c she's going to have him stuffed and she's 100% serious. Her (adult) daughter has a pair of jeans with 2 matching holes on the sides of one leg from this hellish roo and his wicked spurs. [​IMG] Not worth the beauty, imo, if they're mean. He is gorgeous. Looks just like your hen, but with a crazy hairdo. lol

10. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I spent a 1/2 hour outside holding her last night for the first 20 minutes she squawked and pecked and fought me tooth and nail for the last 10 minutes she calmed down and briefly closed her eyes. When I sent her down she ran around having a fit for about 5 more minutes. We will make friends:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by