1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed ID please - new baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yes that's right, they're Not Muscovies! [​IMG] Went to a different feed store yesterday to get shavings for the brooder and of course we had to see the babies. Went around the corner and saw some HUGE turkey babies and some big meat chicks and a few empty barrels, just when i was thinking they had no fuzzies i saw a small group of ducklings in one of the corner tubs! SO CUTE, little crested ones! i was only going to adore them for a minute until i saw their water was bone dry and their mouths were crusty [​IMG](<feed store employees). They were $6ea which is high for this far into the year but I had to buy as many as i could which sadly was only two, but i was glad to take them home and spoil them! I did complain about the water being empty too.

I had to have the dark one with the huge crest and the other had cute markings and kept looking at me... I have no idea what kinds they are though. We THINK the light one could be runner because it's so tall but we don't know what color it might be. We have NO clue what the black one is. They're both pretty mellow, don't scream bloody murder when you try to pick em up. I did notice the dark one has a pretty big head, maybe it's a breed thing but I am kinda thinking it's a boy.

So what do you guys think they are? ..... besides adorable [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I forgot how messy baby ducks were, all those chicks could go a week before i changed their shavings, but in just one night it looks like i might have the change these shavings after just a couple days! [​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    buff and magpie?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Magpie is the name I couldn't think of yesterday! I said Ancona but then decided the spots weren't right for that breed. I will have to read up again on Magpies.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't have an idea what breed but your right they are adorable, and because of stuff like that [no water etc] I don't go to TSC during chick days.

5. MallardDuckling

MallardDuckling Chillin' With My Peeps

They're crested whatever they are. And very adorable. Ugh, to have tiny little babie ducklings again. [​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

This feed store is a small family owned one, I believe they started with just horse supplies but expanded to all farm supplies... It's not the first time i've seen bad conditions there and normally i avoid the place for anything but it's the closest and i needed shavings to change the brooders yesterday. I buy all my feed at the local hardware store and have been waiting for them to start carrying white shavings.

7. MallardDuckling

They look like they have water to me.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does the light one have eye stripes? It almost looks like a apricot runner

9. MallardDuckling

Is it just me, or does it look like the chick in the background is trying to kiss the duck lol

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    either tha,t or it's asking what was that you just said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by