1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed Identification… Help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CGraves, Nov 10, 2013.

1. CGraves

CGraves New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Maine
    Any idea of the breed of these 4 chickens? Thank you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the first one looks like what i have been trying to breed which is a cross of rir and buff polish, the second also a polish mix. thats the easy ones. time for someone else to jump in

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hah, it has feathers on its feet, im wrong

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they're all mixes.

First one may have some silkie--crest, feathered legs, funky comb, five toes. She doesn't have black skin, so the silkie may be back a few generations.
    Second just looks like a mix of mixes. That's a common color for mixed breed birds. She had something hophatted a generation or so back, maybe polish?
    Third bird also looks like a mix of mixes. Lots of folks will probably say she's a black sex link, and she could be, but she looks bantam sized and has light skin. Plus, that's just a common color for mixed breed birds.
    Last bird is silver laced in color. Wyandotte is the most common breed in this color, but it just looks off for a Wyandotte to me. Could be just hatchery quality.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    good catch on that 5th toe, i had to look really hard for it. do you see seebright in the last two?

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    #1 Not sure...does it have a bit of a beard?? I can't really tell from the pic. Fluff on the head could be polish background...or possibly silkie mix??
    #2 Looks like it has green legs...EE cross of some sort maybe? Fluff on the head could be from a polish mix.
    #3 Could be a black sexlink, but something seems a bit off...not sure what exactly since I'm not too familiar with that breed.
    #4 Looks like a silver laced wyandotte to me

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    1) Crested mix, perhaps a Sultan mix with a red colored bird?
    2) Crested mix - from what I see, probably a crested EE cross.
    3) Looks like a BSL to me.
    4) Silver laced wyandotte.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No, don't really see Sebright there. Sebrights are--don't know how to explain really, [​IMG] very upright little birds. Their heads and tails are upright and the wings have a strong downsweep. I'm sure their SOP has the correct words to say what I'm thinking--the body type just looks wrong to me. Cocky is the word I think of in relation to Sebrights [​IMG] and neither of those birds has that cocky look. Sebrights also have rose combs and grey/white? legs--not sure of the exact color legs, but it's not yellow or dark.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    awesome, i want to be like you when i grow up! chicken wise i mean lol im 50

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh, well that's easy. Just spend hours and hours on this site! Most of what I know I've learned here, plus just having chickens most of my life. My Ozark Gramma was a big help, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by