Breed Identifying Help, please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ParadiseHens, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ParadiseHens

ParadiseHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Aloha, I am wanting to confirm my breeds. I will post a few pictures. Mahalo

[​IMG]
    This is our Rooster…. Roo Roo. I think he is an Araucana?

[​IMG]
    I think: Barred Rocks in the back, White Brahama in the back right and the front one is an Araucana?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Aloha,
    My hubby lived in Hawaii as a child (dad military)...and I just bought my latest hatching eggs from a fellow Hawaiin.

Your rooster and front hen are not Araucana...not by American standards...as they are not rumpless (tail-less). An European standard Araucana is tailed, with beard, but it should also have a pea comb.

Your rooster has no beard or muff (that I can see in photo), and from that angle definitely does not have a pea comb. So it is not Ameraucana (American standard) or Araucana (.American or European standard). I'm not sure what he is....a number of roosters are colored similar, and I can't tell exactly the comb type he has...big single floppy? Crown? Butterfly? Modified Rose? Someone will likely step in and help here....especially if you can give a better photo of his head.

Your front hen is an Easter Egger...Beard/muff and pea comb, with typical partridge coloring, grey or green legs? That is a hybrid of an American standard Ameraucana (pea comb, beard/muff, 8 standard colors) or Araucana (tail-less, ear tufted) and any other breed. Ameraucanas and Araucanas lay blue eggs, which is highly desired. However, since she is an EE, she will likely lay blue or green eggs (since she has a pea comb) but may lay any color including brown, pink, white as well as the blue or green (not all, just one color, whatever color she lays she will consistently lay that).

Yes, those look to be Barred Rocks, from the poor photo angle, if they have single combs and yellow legs. That could be a Light Brahma if it has feathered feet. It is hard to tell with those birds.

To be sure we would need full body shots and good profile head shots of all birds.

Welcome to BYC. Good luck with our flock.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, in the last picture I see two barred rocks, a light brahma, and the hen in front is and Easter Egger. Aracaunas are their own special breed that have specific colors and features, so she's not that, but she does appear to be an EE so she'll probably lay blue eggs for you. your rooster may be an EE too.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    1st pic-maybe some type of game breed, I am not sure. I see nothing that shows he is mixed with an EE
    2nd pic- light brahma, 2 barred rocks, (back), easter egger (front)

Just some info:
    araucanas are rumpless
    they are suppose to have ear tufts (not a beard, which is what your EE has), sometimes there are clean faced ones used for breeding, but they do not fit the SOP
    They come in a certain set of colors, your two you suspect are araucanas are none of those.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think your roo may be a feral Hawaiian rooster, heavy on the game bird. I do see what are likely barred Rocks and an Easter egger hen, but he white bird looks to have a straight comb? That would mean it's not a Brahma, we'd need a better pic of that bird including come and legs for positive id.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thats what I get for no enlarging the pic in the first place. She does look to have a strait comb. I guess if she doesnt have feathered feet, she could be a light sussex

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I was just glad it would enlarge! So many lately haven't, and my eyes just aren't what they used to be [​IMG]

8. ParadiseHens

ParadiseHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Thank you everyone. Here are some better pics [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I know! I don't what has been up with that lately. I have terrible eye sight

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    1-already said my thoughts
    2- I am really not sure, her combinations of traits doesnt matc up with anything I can think of.
    3-easter egger and silver laced wyandotte
    4-silver laced wyandotte
    5-white leghorn
    6- does she have feathered legs? Leg Color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by