Breed Mix?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickensfan, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    Hello all,
    It is still winter here in California, and I am considering incubating eggs when spring comes. I want to get offspring from my Buckeye hen, and my White Crested Polish rooster. Any ideas what that would look like? I was thinking, since Buckeyes are wonderful layers, and Polish are so beautiful, (though all chickens are) maybe it would be elegant looking and a great layer??
    I would probably only keep three, but it would be a fun experience. I have never mixed breeds before. (I am going to need to start incubating in spring because I already have two requests for offspring from my flock! I am planning on inviting the people over, and having them choose the parents.)
    ~Marie

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    it will have a weird top hat probably and a mix of both of there colors. I personally wouldnt consider the mix.

3. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    why?

4. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    well you would have a weird comb, probably a big comb that looks out of place (this happened when two of my bantams bred on accident) and then a redish brown with a white and on top of that a top hat with a non top hat... i personally think it would be ugly and if you ever wanna sell it, it will be hard bc there arent many people that like mixed chickens.

5. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    no, i wouldn't sell it. i would have the people pick the parents for their chicks.
    but i totally see where you are coming from

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I breed Mix breed chicks. Around here people buy them very fast.....If your doing it for yourself, my answer is, try it......They will be cute.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have no problems selling mixed breed birds. I've considered adding a Polish rooster this year, just to get the partial crest in the offspring. Folks seem to love that.

I agree, offspring will probably have an odd looking comb, Polish mixes often do. But, okay, so what? Not any uglier than silkie mixes can get--talk about ugly, sometimes!

Tophats are partially dominant, meaning when you cross them with a smooth headed bird, you get a partial crest, not the full top hat of the Polish parent.

If your rooster is black, with a white crest, most of your offspring will likely be black, with red leakage from the Buckeye. Most black birds are extended black, and that tends to be a pretty dominant color.

You'll lose the meatiness of the Buckeye. Not sure I'd go so far as to say elegant looking, more like unique and funky [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 --as to the description of such a cross, one that I have heard that seems fitting is "Dr. Seuss birds"

1 person likes this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I am not at all fond of crested birds. I just think they may be more predator prone and more apt to be picked on by flock mates. Not that I have any experience with that, cause I've never had any! But, the V comb would be appealing to me. I'm adding BE this spring, for the pea comb genetics. I think you should go for it. You've got nothing to loose, and just might love the outcome. How well have your BE's laid for you? As for letting your friends pick the parents of their chicks, IMO, that will give you nothing but head ache. Simply let them view your flock if they wish, being aware of bio-security issues, and offer the chicks on a first paid, first to pick offer.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is your aversion to only fully crested birds? Asking because the predator prone side of things is really not as much of an issue with the partial crests found in crosses - the Crested Cream Legbar is an example of the reduced cresting that does not impair vision like a full crest does, though picking can still be an issue. Alternatively, you could introduce the V comb in a non-crested breed such as the La Fleche

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by