Breed Mixes? (Silkies/Others)

ChickenMamacita

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Maryland
Me and my mom have ordered 4 day old chicks that should all be arriving within 3 weeks. 1 Silkie, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, and 1 Buff Orpington. They will be in a brooder together. I'm planning on keeping them all together in one coop eventually. Do you think that the breed mixture will be alright? I've also been contemplating adding another Silkie so that once it starts getting colder, they will be able to snuggle. Opinions/ suggestions?

Last edited:
I would definitely add another Silkie just in case. You may luck out and find they'll roost with your regular feathered birds, but they'll have each other if they choose not too. My Silkies use the roost, but its only 18" off the ground AND they have a cinder block to use as a step to get up there (spoiled brats!). Your breed mix sounds alright to me as well. Breeds aren't such a big deal when you brood them all together from day olds.
Congrats on your chicks, I bet you're super excited!

The first chicks you get are always the best... enjoy
wee.gif

Alright, we've decided to add another Silkie to the order. Hopefully when I call it in tomorrow they are still available! *crosses fingers*

We are super excited! These chicks will be spoiled little princesses. I feel like a mom preparing to have a baby <3 I'm fussing over all the little details.

Back
Top Bottom