Breed most often gender mistaken by hatchery?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sew the Farmers Wife, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    Hi all, was just noticing one of my ameraucanas tail if much bigger and fuller then all the others, made me wonder if the hatchery made a sexing mistake [​IMG]. I think i have seen at least 3 posts on BYC about someone recieving a male instead of a female, and I think they were ameraucanas.

I know they can not sex bantams, but was wondering if there are breeds that have a tendancy to be mis-sexed by hatcheries? Just curious

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Well, most of the hatcheries will tell you they are only 80-90-% accurate with their sexing........ It's a shame, I wanted mostly girls, but it is what it is, I ordered 25 bantams.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Leghorns hands down..not 1 hatchery has gotten close to their 10% accuracy on every order I have made for them.Second EE's their Ameraucana's Right now we bought 5 EE pullets to fill an order without packing peanuts..3 are roos out of 5 may as well have taken the packing peanuts and saved me some money...same hatchery same shipment 3 of 5 of my brown leghorn pullets will be crowing soon..
    However,you don't have Ameraucana's you have EE's since hatcheries don't sell Ameraucana's [​IMG]
    Bantams are always sold straight run so you get what you get there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by