breed names

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Angelicdragon, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Angelicdragon

Angelicdragon Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2015
    Tasmania
    I was just wondering, do breeds have the same name in different countries? I have an Isa Brown but have seen some others on here that look the same as her but different breed name eg gold nugget, star
    r[​IMG]

???

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am not certain, but I do believe that may be true for some breeds. I do know that standards for breeds can be different bases on the country you live in. :frow. I love this website. I can talk chicken to folks all around the world. Nice to meet you.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The ISA Brown is not a breed in any case.

ISA is a company, a Hendrix Group Poultry Conglomerate producing product for the egg laying industry.

ISA is the company name and the "Brown" is just one of their various products. Not a breed at all. A commercial product.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Also, after looking closer at your pic, I believe she is a sexlink? Am I correct? If that is true, different hatcheries name their sexlinks something different. Our red girls were called Bovine Browns. Not a very sexy name.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by