breed of baby chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Collins Chicks, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Collins Chicks

Collins Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    [​IMG]
    I bought fertile eggs that were black/red star, japanese bantum, and silkie. Does anyone know which one this is?

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    I would Japanese. Definitely not silkie. And red stars typically don't have chipmunk stripes

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree, probably Japanese.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ditto

5. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    I think that might be a Red Star, Japanese Bantams from what I've seen are normally more of a whitish color.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Were they advertised as being red stars and black stars or red star/black star indicating a cross - same for the other breeds listed, were they supposed to be pure breed eggs or eggs from a flock with those breeds comingling? Were they sourced from an individual or a hatchery? The names "red star" and "black star" are marketing names used to sell red and black sex links -- RSL and BSL can be created with any number of crosses and,depending on the breeds used, can result in chicks with varying markings -- if it is a matter of RSL/BSL crossings then that would further muddy the waters as you would have the potential of up to four different breeds being in the mix.

7. Collins Chicks

Collins Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    they were advertized as black/red star pure breed. The Japanese and silkies are a local guy that are pure.

8. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Yeah, that looks to me like it's a Red Star female.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Red stars and black stars are not pure breeds. They are cross bred sexlinks. They do not breed true. Black sexlinks (black stars) are usually a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a barred hen. Male chicks are barred (black with a white/yellow spot on the back of the head), female chicks are usually solid black. Red sexlinks (red stars) are usually a cross between a red rooster and a silver (black and white) hen. The male chicks are white/yellow, and the female chicks are golden or red.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by