Breed of chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beckysuzp, Jun 22, 2008.

1. beckysuzp

beckysuzp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Altmar, NY
    Okay, I know it's early: She's only a week old. But I've scoured all the chick-ordering websites I can find and I can't find one that looks like her!! She was my 'freebie' chicken from Murray McMurray. She's the exact same color as my Buff Minorca, but she has feathered legs and has nowhere near as many feathers as the other chicks yet - only 2 on each wing and that's it, whereas all the others have full wings now. She's also quite large - just barely smaller than my meat chicks. Any ideas on what breed she is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Becky

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Do standard buff brahmas show the black on their feathers as babies? That's the standard feather footed buff breed that comes to my mind, but I'm by no means an expert!

Take pictures of her every week. We could use them for the chick ID database!!! See the progressive chick photos thread that's a sticky at the top of this folder.

Kendra

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    My guess would be that it's a buff cochin.

4. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    im thinking cochin for sure

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    My guess is Cochin. BTW, your date on your camera is WAY off.....[​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I agree Buff Cochin

7. beckysuzp

beckysuzp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Altmar, NY
    Yup, date is WAY WAY off!!! Every time the batteries go dead you have to reset the darn thing, I gave up. Need a new cam - this one sux. Thanks so much for everyone's input and will def be checking out that other thread!! After reading the descriptions, I'm really hoping she's a cochin hen - her disposition matches. She's so calm. She's actually sitting on my lap right now while I type this! She's one of my faves.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My guess is Light Brahma because the inside of the legs don't have feathers. My brahamas didn't show black unitl later than a week old.

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I vote for light brahma as well. She looks just like mine did at that age. She didn't have any black at all to start.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    What kind of comb does it have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by