Breed of chicken I saw in a movie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dracoonfly, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    I just watched the movie "The Last Station" last night. It takes place in Russia in the early 1900's. I noticed these chickens running around which looked like solid black Brahmas, but can't find such a color listed for the Brahma. The hens looked large and had fully feathered feet, solid black from what I could see. Anyone have a clue?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Black Cochin is my guess.

AL

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  4. WoodwardRooster

WoodwardRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I saw that movie too. They looked like black langshans.

5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    we have solid black brahmas here in belgium [​IMG] i had two but sadly one died....always been on the lookout for some friends for the survivor but have yet to come across another black one [​IMG]

6. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Wow! Ask and ye shall receive quick replies! I guess any of them could be correct but I agree with Rareroo that Black Cochin is most likely. I learn something everyday. Thanks!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hahah, there was a thread asking the exact same thing a year ago.

Does anyone know what comb type they had? How long of legs and short of back they had? Tail angle?

Langshans - Black legs, single comb, short back, high set tail, long legs

Cochins - Yellow legs, single comb, very arched back and low set, small tail, short legs

Brahmas - Black legs, pea comb, medium back and tail that rises with the incline of the back, moderate length legs

8. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I seen that movie as well and they look just like my Black Langshan So this is my guess as well....

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:If you every do find a mate for it, throw some of their chicks across the pond over here to us in the US. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by