Breed of extra chick?

christine9

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2013
South Carolina
This little cutie was an extra supplied in my order. She is only a few days old but I was hoping to get some ideas of what breed
there is some lighter yellow fluff around the face and underneath. Any ideas?

This little cutie was an extra supplied in my order. She is only a few days old but I was hoping to get some ideas of what breed there is some lighter yellow fluff around the face and underneath. Any ideas?

Where did you get her from? Some choices include a Red Sex-link, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington (maybe), or New Hampshire Red.

This little cutie was an extra supplied in my order. She is only a few days old but I was hoping to get some ideas of what breed there is some lighter yellow fluff around the face and underneath. Any ideas?
Where did you get her from? Some choices include a Red Sex-link, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington (maybe), or New Hampshire Red.
Meyers sent her because they did not have one of the chicks I ordered. I was thinking she's probably a RIR since they seem to be more common. Thanks for the options! It will be interesting to watch her grow and change.

Looks like a Rhode Island Red. And most hatcheries will throw in a extra Male chick to add warmth for the rest of the chicks. So more than likely it is a Rooster.

I have heard that before. Until it can be determined, I'm calling this chickie a she!

If she were a free extra chick, I'd suspect male. But, she was a substitution for something you ordered so I'd expect a pullet if you ordered pullets! She'll be red or mostly red but other than that, it's a wait and see. They may be able to tell you what they sent if you ask them.

I'd make a guess that she's a Rhode Island Red. As you said, they are one of the more common "red" breeds.

If she were a free extra chick, I'd suspect male. But, she was a substitution for something you ordered so I'd expect a pullet if you ordered pullets! She'll be red or mostly red but other than that, it's a wait and see. They may be able to tell you what they sent if you ask them.

This is what I was thinking, also.

Back
Top Bottom