Breed of Hen/Rooster?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I love this painting in the link below and am considering buying it, but can anyone tell me what breed of chicken the mother hen is? My friend thinks it is actually a rooster, due to the comb, but I think it is a hen. He thinks it is a rooster symbolizing Jesus, since it is a religious painting entitled I WOULD GATHER THEE, with the symbolism of Jesus as Mother Hen:

http://www.foundationarts.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/LL104V.jpg

That link doesn't seem to work. You can Google it with the words I WOULD GATHER THEE and the name of the artist: Liz Lemon Swindle. It's based on the verse from Matthew 23:37, according to the information card I have about the painting.

Thanks so much for posting a link that works, DirtCreature!

Can you make out the breed? Or is it an imaginary chicken breed? With that floppy comb, my friend thought it was a rooster? There is a bit of a yellow tint to some of the hen's feathers?

Maybe I could e-mail the artist and see if she based it on a hen of her own and find out its breed?

Yep er do~
thumbsup.gif

The comb size is pretty big for a hen (but i have seen my RIR with some pretty BIG combs) idk about breed, i would say buff orpington? but im not really good at guessing breeds yet like some people on here.....

and yes! im sure the artist would love to hear from you. My brother is an artist and he loves praise about his work!

Melissa~
Thanks so much for posting a link that works, DirtCreature!

Can you make out the breed? Or is it an imaginary chicken breed? With that floppy comb, my friend thought it was a rooster? There is a bit of a yellow tint to some of the hen's feathers?

Maybe I could e-mail the artist and see if she based it on a hen of her own and find out its breed?

Dirt Creature,

I wonder whether your brother would know of other hen and chick paintings? I'd like to look at as many of them as possible.

My sister said her public library loans out paintings for people to put in their homes for two weeks, and she once checked out one of a mother hen and chicks, but she doesn't know the name of the painting or the artist.

Thanks for your guesses as to the breed in the painting. The hen almost has a raptor look to her.

Clare

He knows nothing of chicken breeds. he is a mixed media artist.

this is some of the stuff he paints.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6795284/width/400/flags/LL
Dirt Creature,

I wonder whether your brother would know of other hen and chick paintings? I'd like to look at as many of them as possible.

My sister said her public library loans out paintings for people to put in their homes for two weeks, and she once checked out one of a mother hen and chicks, but she doesn't know the name of the painting or the artist.

Thanks for your guesses as to the breed in the painting. The hen almost has a raptor look to her.

Clare

he knows A LOT about painting and artists, and different kinds of artists, I'm sure he would know some good artist that do only animal and landscaping work though. Hes prob the smartest person i know besides my grandfather. He reads.... A LOT!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom