Breed of Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magpiefarms, Nov 26, 2016.

1. magpiefarms

magpiefarms New Egg

Nov 26, 2016
    Hi all - rookie chicken owner here, can you tell me the breed of this hen? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Amberlink.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Amberlink or something similar. A Leghorn based hybrid crossed with some brown egger. She should lay tons of large creamy beige eggs.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

5. magpiefarms

magpiefarms New Egg

Nov 26, 2016

According to her previous owners, she is approx 7 months old and has yet to lay an egg for them...and hasn't in the week that I've owned her. Is that normal for this breed? Thanks so much for your help!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's normal for pullets that mature in the fall to take longer to start laying. It's also normal for a hen that has just been through the major stress of a move to not be laying. Also, some people get impatient for eggs and start feeding layer feed too soon, thinking that layer feed makes a hen lay. This will actually slow down the rate of development, due to the lower protein content.
    She'll probably start sometime in the next month or so.

1 person likes this.
  7. edenrice

edenrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2016
    X3 amberlink

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She sure looks like she's at point of lay to me. Nice plump, red comb. She looks healthy and in good condition from the picture.

It's a weird time of year, and with the move, that could throw things off for her for a while. When I move birds, just from pen to pen on my place, I find it takes about 2 weeks for them to settle down to laying again. So, just give her some time. She may be a little out of wack now, but even if it takes her until after Solstice, she should make a terrific layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by