Breed of my 2 ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NVRDUNN, Apr 19, 2012.

1. NVRDUNN

NVRDUNN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    We got 2 ducks from a local feed store 2 weeks ago. The guy on duty that day wasn't sure of the breeds. I'm sure the white one is a Pekin but not sure on the other one, any ideas? Also, any input on age would be great. I'm guessing in the 5-6 week range.

[​IMG]

2. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I believe you are right on the white one being a Pekin, I can't say on the other one, Sorry. Based on my Pekin's growing rate, my guess is that they are closer to 3-4 weeks old. My 6 weeks old were almost fully adult feathered out already. Here are is a pic of mine at 3 1/2 weeks old. (pic take 3/8/2012)

[​IMG]

Here are mine at 6 weeks old: (Pic taken 3.28.2012) They grow fast in 20 days!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would think maybe a welsh harlequin/silver Appleyard, or similar breed. Do you know where they go their ducks from? That would help ID them. Like we supplied a local store with ducklings this year and hatched Khaki Cambells and Silver Appleyards, and Buffs and Rouens.

4. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    The store is in Gilroy, CA. I will have to check with them on their source.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The face on the white one, i bet it's a character. so cute. They both are..

6. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    He/she's just says "What ya looking at?". Both of them both are somewhat skittish, not sure if that's normal or not at this age. Hoping that goes away with time.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They will go through a phase where they will be afraid of you. so saying that spend as much time as you can with them out in the yard in the house where ever but not trying to hold them as much as just being there sitting and relaxing with treats which will help get them coming to you. Being calm and just spending time with them will help get them through this period. Keep up the pics they are adorable. [​IMG]

8. Missy60

Missy60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I would also say around three weeks they are exactly the size of our babies.

9. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    The yellow one deffinitly a pekin but no where near 5 to 6 weeks old. If you bought them 2 weeks ago I would guess the oldest they are would be 3 weeks old and thats only if they were at the feed store all week. So 2 1/2 to 3 weeks looks about right. My pekin was huge by 5 weeks old. She's now almost 7 weeks old and about 7 - 8 pounds.

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The grayish one is a welsh harlequin. Based on the amount of feathers you can already see, I would say 5 weeks old as well.
    The white one, IF it's the same age as the harlequin, is not a pekin. Pekins will grow twice as fast and yours looks to be the same size as the welsh. My guess would be a white runner (only if the ducklings stands upright), or a white layer. White layers are similar in size as the welsh and they don't grow as fast as the pekins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by