Breed of quail you raise and average weight?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TedJan92_in_Idaho, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Which breed of quail do you raise and what is the average weight of your finished birds. All I have now are some Butler Bobwhites and they average 12-13 ounces. I think the breeder I purchased these from have had them and they have been inbred for a few years. No selective breeding just keeping them in a very large pen.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    In the meat bird I just started butler bobwhites but they aren't so big yet, and coturnix. The coturnix can get scary in size. My jumbo pharaoh/browns that I bred selectively are 13-14 ounces with one poor hen that is 1.20 pound!! But I don't eat them. They are strictly hatching and edible egg producers and for my genetic projects.

My Texas A and M coturnix are pretty similar in size. I have gotten most colors at least to 12-13 ounces still keeping their color in the right place in case we can show them one day.

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I raise all kinds of quail in my dreams, at this time they are weightless. lol

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's a good one Ritter!!!

Hey if they are weightless does that mean we don't need to feed them??? That would cut the monthly feed bill big time! [​IMG]

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    That feed is free, but the whole thing is not near as fun or fulfilling as the real thing, more like torture really.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by