1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed of Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Big Muddy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Big Muddy

Big Muddy New Egg

Feb 15, 2016
    My wife and I recently got a Rooster in with a crate of Ameraucana hens at an auction and we can't determine what he is. Here are two of the best pictures I could get of him in the coop(sorry for the poor quality) He has a few sparse feathers on his legs and feet and is actually quite a magnificent rooster. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated as I have only dealt with leghorns up until now... Couldn't get the photos to show so I provided direct links...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/sillybstard/rooster2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/sillybstard/rooster.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Pictures don't work but I can guarantee you if they were bought at auction, they are Easter eggers. The feathered shanks would indicate Cochin, Brahma or maran blood.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's mixed enough no specific breed stands out. The combo of white skin and feathered legs could lend itself to Marans ancestry, but beyond that all you can really say is his parents were straight combed.

1 person likes this.
  4. Big Muddy

Big Muddy New Egg

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks for the insight. I was thinking Maran myself but the wife was thinkin he was something else. I appreciate it...

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on donrae's post; definitely a mixed breed.

1 person likes this.
  6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    He is a mix breed, with the lacing on his chest he looks like he may have some Silver Laced Wyandotte blood in him.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by