Breed of these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goats rule 101, Mar 28, 2015.

1. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Hi so I just got these 6 chicks from TSC. The yellow ones I think are cornish rocks, but I really hope not because I'm looking for egg layers. If they are Cornish rocks, will they make okay egg layers or no? The other 4 all came from the same bin labeled pullets. It did not however give the breed. They all have the same brown coloring and markings though some are darker or lighter than the others. I really want to start selling eggs so I'm hoping for a good egg laying breed! Any help or input would be great! Thanks! I will get better pics tomorrow since these aren't very good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Your little red striped ones are red sex links, which are excellent egg layers. As for your little yellow guys, I'm not sure. There are a number of things they could be and it's hard to tell at this stage - perhaps cornish rocks, perhaps white leghorns, etc. Maybe someone else will have a better idea of what they are :)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The yellow ones look like they might well be Cornish cross (Cornish rocks) and if they are, you'd be better off butchering them at 7-8 weeks for meat than trying to turn them into layers. Due to their abnormal growth rates, they will likely begin experiencing severe health problems before they ever reach laying age, and even if some of them manage to reach laying age, they will not be productive layers.

4. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Thank you both so much for the quick responses![​IMG] I'm a little bummed about the CX but since I already have 2 GLW hens I think 6 layers will be good to start with! Since theres no way I'll be able to butcher them, (I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to that[​IMG]) I think I'm going to trade the 2 CX for one of my friend's roosters. Anyway, thanks again!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. agf63a

agf63a Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    What breed are these I know 3 are bantams. I think one is a silkie it has 5 toes[​IMG][​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

8. agf63a

Jul 6, 2014
    [​IMG]. All 3 of my yellow chicks have 5 toes on their feet Are they silkies

9. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

They look like hatchery quality silkies to me, yes.

1 person likes this.
  10. agf63a

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you, I tried hatching some chicks last spring. None of the eggs were fertile. I saw these at Tsc and the little red ones and decided to give chickens a try. If you look at the others what do they look like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by