Breed of these chicks?

goats rule 101

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hi so I just got these 6 chicks from TSC. The yellow ones I think are cornish rocks, but I really hope not because I'm looking for egg layers. If they are Cornish rocks, will they make okay egg layers or no? The other 4 all came from the same bin labeled pullets. It did not however give the breed. They all have the same brown coloring and markings though some are darker or lighter than the others. I really want to start selling eggs so I'm hoping for a good egg laying breed! Any help or input would be great! Thanks! I will get better pics tomorrow since these aren't very good.

Your little red striped ones are red sex links, which are excellent egg layers. As for your little yellow guys, I'm not sure. There are a number of things they could be and it's hard to tell at this stage - perhaps cornish rocks, perhaps white leghorns, etc. Maybe someone else will have a better idea of what they are :)

The yellow ones look like they might well be Cornish cross (Cornish rocks) and if they are, you'd be better off butchering them at 7-8 weeks for meat than trying to turn them into layers. Due to their abnormal growth rates, they will likely begin experiencing severe health problems before they ever reach laying age, and even if some of them manage to reach laying age, they will not be productive layers.

Thank you both so much for the quick responses!
1f600.png
I'm a little bummed about the CX but since I already have 2 GLW hens I think 6 layers will be good to start with! Since theres no way I'll be able to butcher them, (I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to that
1f601.png
) I think I'm going to trade the 2 CX for one of my friend's roosters. Anyway, thanks again!!!!
263a.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png

What breed are these I know 3 are bantams. I think one is a silkie it has 5 toes

The yellow ones look like they might well be Cornish cross (Cornish rocks) and if they are, you'd be better off butchering them at 7-8 weeks for meat than trying to turn them into layers. Due to their abnormal growth rates, they will likely begin experiencing severe health problems before they ever reach laying age, and even if some of them manage to reach laying age, they will not be productive layers.
x2

x3

Thank you, I tried hatching some chicks last spring. None of the eggs were fertile. I saw these at Tsc and the little red ones and decided to give chickens a try. If you look at the others what do they look like

Back
Top Bottom