Breed of these four pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mdwillie3, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mdwillie3

mdwillie3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    I got 15 pullets from a local feed store. They came from Mcmurry hatchery and were supposed to be from their brown egg layer assortment. I am pretty sure I know the breeds of all the others but do not know these 4. Anybody have any ideas? All these birds should be three weeks old. The two birds in the first three pictures both have dark shanks and similar combs. When I originally got them the lighter colored one was silver and the darker one was dark gray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The two birds in this last picture looked identical when I first got them and i assumed they were of the same breed. Now that they are older, I can see the color patterns on their plumage is different and their combs are different. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe the bottom one with the pea comb is a wyandotte? I think her boxmate is a roo.

Not sure what the blue and splash could be?

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Looks like the box was marked wrong. The top 2 look like blue andalusian pullets. They can come blue, dark blue, splash and even black. and the bottom 2 look like brown leghorns, a pullet and a roo. Both will also lay white eggs not brown.

4. mdwillie3

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks for the input goldfinches. I had suspicions that the one might be a roo but was not sure.

5. mdwillie3

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks Lindsay B. As I stated to goldfinches, I had suspicions the one might be a roo. On the other two, I never even thought of Andalusian. I will admit to you guys, this is my first try at chickens so my knowledge is very limited. Thanks again to both of you for your input.

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    They do look like Andalusians, but, since they're sold as brown egg layers, I didn't suggest it. But, I think within a few weeks, they'll develop the gamey shape of an Andalusian if that's what they are. And, if they lay white eggs, well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by