1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed of this poor chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JulieNKC, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My hubby got this chicken from a friend of his. It's supposedly a pullet, just started to lay. I can't tell because apparently she was the roo's favorite and has no feathers where saddle or hackles would be. Is she a she, and what is she? She reminds me a little of my leghorn, could she be a california gray? How long will it take er feathers to grow back?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Are those yellow legs?

3. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Yes.

4. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    It kind of looks like a California Grey by the tail but if it is missing a lot of feathers then maybe it's a barred rock? Her comb looks a lot like my girls

[​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:The tail (the half of it that's still there at least, it's missing on one side [​IMG]) and that floppy comb are what's making me think california gray. I can't really find any information on them though, since they are a crossbreed and not a real breed though. And I think she has white earlobes.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Cuckoo maran vs. Barred rock. With the yellow legs and the thickness of them, could be roo. Could make a better guess based on age. The lighter coloring also is roo-ish. Go figure.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    All the barred chickens look so much alike, except for little tiny details. I was looking at the California Gray comb and it extends further back than hers does, it kind of stops half way on her head that's what made me think of my barred rock girls. Hopefully you can find more on the California Grays and get a for sure answer [​IMG].

8. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I guess if she is laying, I will find out by egg color. White- cali gray, brown- BR, dark brown- cuckoo marans? Are there any other barred breeds similar to these?

9. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Barred Hollands are similar and they lay white eggs, there is also Dominiques who lay brown eggs. [​IMG] So many to choose from [​IMG]

10. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Looks alot like my Crele Old English Game Chicken..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by