1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed of Turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rnoyster, Apr 29, 2009.

1. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Hey all, I had one poult hatch out of 16 shipped eggs last week. The lady that I bought them from marked each egg with the breed that had laid it.
    QUESTION.....This poult is supposed to be a nargasett (sp?), but it is a real soft yellow and since it is starting to grow some wing feathers they appear to be barred like possibly it is a Royal Palm. I cannot attach a picture at this time due to camera problems. But what does it sound like to you? Do nargasetts have white wing feathers with black barrs?
    Dick

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
  3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Don't know about Nargs but Royal Palms have solid colored wing feathers and palms are solid yellow when hatched.

4. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Well, after looking at the above posted site, I may have a nargasett after all. I didn't know that they were that heavily barred. Hopefully it is a Tom! Thanks for the information.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Baby narries look like baby wilds and bronze, brown on top with black stripes and creamy yellow tummy.

At first they sorta feather out like bronze too, but they have more of a grey cast to them.

6. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Hey I am having this same problem. I looked at the website above and could not find one to match. Does anyone know what these are. I know they are some sort of heritage breed. I had two turkey eggs out of 18 eggs and they hatched Sunday. One is Red colored and the other is yellow and brown. I have them in with three polish chicks. Here are some pics of them.

The red one.

[​IMG]

The yellow and brown one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. One is also starting to get the little thing on top of its head. LOL

7. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    The yellow is either a Royal Palm or one of the white breeds. The dark red one has me completely buffaloed. It is much too dark to be a bourbon red. The other one looks like a baby Nari or bronze.

8. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Thanks! Me too. I have looked everywhere on the net and can not find anything that looks like this one. The only thing that remotely looks like it is a black spanish, but they have more white in their face.

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:That Red one looks exactly like the dozens of poults we hatched last year out of my friends Jersey Buff hen and Merriam Wild Tom!!! They grow up looking like a Wild with a lot of Red/brown on them. You can see the wild pattern but the Brown colour just seems to cover everything. We called them chocolates because they look dark brown as adults.

10. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by