Breed of typical supermarket quail eggs? Typically fertile?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mr. Nappy, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mr. Nappy

Mr. Nappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Hi to all you quail people. I've had success incubating/hatching fertile chicken eggs, and wondering if it's possible to purchase quail eggs from the store and hatch them. What are the chances they could be fertile? I have never seen anything advertised as fertile quail eggs in the market. Anyone? Thanks!

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't see why you can't try? [​IMG] In my past I hatched a bunch of trader joe chicken eggs so who knows? Maybe you will be lucky. Good luck!

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG]

I've never even seen a quail egg in the stores around here.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Critter, me either. Never heard of fertile quail eggs in stores.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    You would have to check with the store you get them from, providing you find a store that carries them. The local store here has Coturnix eggs but I guarantee they are not fertile since I've told the guy that supplies the store he doesn't have a single male in the bunch.

Your best bet is to either find a local breeder who will sell you some eggs or find someone who will ship you some eggs.

If you plan on raising quail as well as chickens, you might want to look into finding a way to house them separately. While there is little problem with housing quail and chickens together before anyone reaches 2 weeks of age, quail can carry some diseases that can kill chickens and chickens carry a few diseases that can wipe out your quail.

Not saying you can't have both and have both be healthy, just use a little thought when it comes to housing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by