Breed opinions Cockerel

Agree with @JedJackson
that he may be a hatchery mix.

ETA... Do you have younger pics of him? I'm asking because if he's really around 20 weeks... I don't see any male saddle feathers, I don't see any sickle feathers, and if I'm to be honest, I'd expect a cockerel to have a bigger comb and/or wattles.

If he came from a bad situation and was malnourished I could see one or two of those male characteristics being missing, but all of them?

This is what I was thinking. His sexual development has been severely delayed, but I can see him eventually developing into something that looks more typical for a silver penciled Plymouth rock. Another possibility is that he is some kind of mixed layer strain the hatcheries sometimes sell. If you can find out from the previous owner which hatchery he came from, that would be helpful.
I will try to contact the seller again. I've tried once and they are no longer responding, so I'm probably not going to get much out of them.

Agree with @JedJackson
that he may be a hatchery mix.

ETA... Do you have younger pics of him? I'm asking because if he's really around 20 weeks... I don't see any male saddle feathers, I don't see any sickle feathers, and if I'm to be honest, I'd expect a cockerel to have a bigger comb and/or wattles.

If he came from a bad situation and was malnourished I could see one or two of those male characteristics being missing, but all of them?
They don't seem to have been very truthful with much. He is crowing, dominating and attempting to breed with the pullet I got with him. His feathers are in bad shape, like ruffed up and broke. When they met me, he was in a bed of the truck with the cold 2 degree wind hitting him when they took the hwy. I didn't won't to say no and him have to ride back in that truck in below freezing weather. I will just get him back in shape and see what he looks like in spring. Maybe he will surprise me and be a real looker. I appreciate your time to answer my question.

This is the pullet they sold me as a BRAHMA. Lol.. I told them no she wasn't. And They said they were confused and said they meant Delaware. She is supposed to be 4 months.
IMG_20190126_153119686.jpg
IMG_20190126_152955247.jpg

I don't see any male specific feathering. Looks like a pullet to me.
I've heard of hens crowing and asserting dominance. But I've not seen one crow, mate, tid bit calling for the girls to get treats and keep a watch out while they graze. I wasn't sure if maybe his rough care has damaged his feathers. I will just have to wait it out I think. Thank you for your response.

I've heard of hens crowing and asserting dominance. But I've not seen one crow, mate, tid bit calling for the girls to get treats and keep a watch out while they graze. I wasn't sure if maybe his rough care has damaged his feathers. I will just have to wait it out I think. Thank you for your response.
True, it would be odd for a female to show all those characteristics. I guess just keep an eye on him/her, and keep us updated!

They don't seem to have been very truthful with much. He is crowing, dominating and attempting to breed with the pullet I got with him. His feathers are in bad shape, like ruffed up and broke. When they met me, he was in a bed of the truck with the cold 2 degree wind hitting him when they took the hwy. I didn't won't to say no and him have to ride back in that truck in below freezing weather. I will just get him back in shape and see what he looks like in spring. Maybe he will surprise me and be a real looker. I appreciate your time to answer my question.
Nice. They sound like great people. Just dump the bird in a cage in the back of an open pickup and take off on the dead of winter. Real compassionate.
I think with some high quality food with a good protein percentage and this guy will molt into a real stunner. He's already good looking.
Your pullet is also a mix. Looks to have Delaware in her but she's not pure.

Nice. They sound like great people. Just dump the bird in a cage in the back of an open pickup and take off on the dead of winter. Real compassionate.
I think with some high quality food with a good protein percentage and this guy will molt into a real stunner. He's already good looking.
Your pullet is also a mix. Looks to have Delaware in her but she's not pure.
Thank you for your time. I think you are right. He will have good care, he is our only roo and he will have a bunch of girls to entertain. I'll post pictures of him after he gets all fixed up. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom